[mythtv-users] Indoor HD antenna question

Stephen Worthington stephen_agent at jsw.gen.nz
Sun Apr 22 05:35:46 UTC 2018

On Sun, 22 Apr 2018 01:09:18 +0000, you wrote:

>wohoo!!! this did it! THANK YOU!!!
>
>Now - minor stuff:
>
>1. When i go to themes on remote frontend - i only see 3. Classic,
>Classic-Wide and Terra.

You need to get mythfrontend to download other themes.  It should
download the list of themes when you go into the theme chooser.  If it
has not, then from in the theme chooser, M(menu) and select Refresh
Downloadable Themes.  You probably tried before when your networking
was not working.

>2. Audio - I think I need to choose HDMI but if i do that - TrueHD doesn't
>work. If I select iecxxxx- I think DTS-HD won't work - not sure. But the
>real part - wrong speakers light up when doing the test.

HDMI can be limited as to what it will pass through.  If your TV does
not do TrueHD, then it is unlikely an HDMI connection to your TV will
do TrueHD as the TV will not pass it through.  If the HDMI goes to
your receiver/amp then maybe it will work.

>Someone suggested correcting it in asound.conf - but that's empty. I think
>I need to edit that one with the correct layout. I haven't looked at the
>sample asound.conf but now I am on to that.

Check your old Ion setup to see if it has an asound.conf file.  If
not, then this mailing list has had posts about this exact problem
several times, so if you can find them there will be examples of what
to put in /etc/asound.conf.  ALSA is a pain to set up - it is much
better if you have an example to work from.

>3. H.265 plays extremely choppy! It plays perfect on the backend server. I
>have ethernet 1G connection everywhere in the house so network can't be
>it..?

Ion Nvidia GPUs are way too old to do accelerated H.265.  That is only
done by the very newest Nvidia cards (1000 series, I think).  And
since your Ion has already demonstrated that it is too slow to do even
H.264 with its CPU only, then it is certainly not going to be able to
do H.265.  Your backend box is likely doing H.265 using its CPU.  You
may be forced to transcode H.265 to H.264 to be able to play H.265
files on the Ion frontend.