[mythtv-users] Indoor HD antenna question

Ashu Desai ashu.desai at gmail.com
Sun Apr 15 14:23:02 UTC 2018

On Sun, Apr 15, 2018, 8:10 AM Barry Martin <barry3martin at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Ashu!
>
> Yes.  it is old. I am afraid of breaking my "working" backend if I try to
> upgrade so I am shying away from an upgrade. I have been using this only
> for movies (videos), music and pictures (nothing a plex server won't do -
> but I love my association with myth and the community and it gives me a
> chance to learn new stuff and expand my limited Linux knowledge)
>

> Have you considered creating a new Backend?  Yes, I know the hardware is
> expensive, but possibly save some money by buying a refurbished system or
> reusing some hardware around the house like the case and PSU and just
> getting a new motherboard and CPU.  If you go the new motherboard route
> could possibly get one with PCI and PCIe slots and use internal tuners
> (from eBay?)  Could also go the USB Tuner route.

it just so happens that I do have a new server and I could create a VM on
it and make it a backed? Does that mean that I def have to throw away the
AverMedia??

> Another advantage of a new Backend might be a huge speed increase: the
> system could be able to do some functions almost concurrently with
> recording, faster reaction times when loading, etc.  I don't know how old
> your present system is but it's age may be anything from a minor to major
> consideration.
>
> The main problem would be transferring the database for your present
> movies, music, etc.  (Copying the media files is easy, I'm thinking the
> file 'translating' to human-readable.)

I all not worried about movie database. it will need to get the fanart and
posters again. big deal. (unless I am overlooking something painful here...)