[mythtv-users] Indoor HD antenna question

Barry Martin barry3martin at gmail.com
Sun Apr 15 13:09:47 UTC 2018

Hi Ashu!

> Yes.  it is old. I am afraid of breaking my "working" backend if I try to
> upgrade so I am shying away from an upgrade. I have been using this only
> for movies (videos), music and pictures (nothing a plex server won't do -
> but I love my association with myth and the community and it gives me a
> chance to learn new stuff and expand my limited Linux knowledge)

Have you considered creating a new Backend?  Yes, I know the hardware is
expensive, but possibly save some money by buying a refurbished system
or reusing some hardware around the house like the case and PSU and just
getting a new motherboard and CPU.  If you go the new motherboard route
could possibly get one with PCI and PCIe slots and use internal tuners
(from eBay?)  Could also go the USB Tuner route.

Another advantage of a new Backend might be a huge speed increase: the
system could be able to do some functions almost concurrently with
recording, faster reaction times when loading, etc.  I don't know how
old your present system is but it's age may be anything from a minor to
major consideration.

The main problem would be transferring the database for your present
movies, music, etc.  (Copying the media files is easy, I'm thinking the
file 'translating' to human-readable.)

Barry