[mythtv-users] Indoor HD antenna question

Leo Butler leo.butler at member.ams.org
Fri Apr 13 15:32:08 UTC 2018

Rob <bertaboy at gmail.com> writes:

> On Sat, Apr 7, 2018 at 11:40 AM, Ashu Desai <ashu.desai at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I wanted to play with indoor antenna so bought a SKY antenna.
>>

> I tried using a Mohu Leaf, but ran into problems with VHF channels.  If
> you're in the States, I'd recommend alternatives to that style of antenna
> given the re-pack that's rolling out across the country.  My set-up
> consists of:
> home-made UHF antenna (Gray-Hoverman style)
> home-made VHF antenna (I mimicked this using some spare 8ga or 10ga copper
> wire and a 2x4:
> https://sites.google.com/site/maycreates/ota-setup/diy-vhf-loop-antenna,
> although these instructions are more succinct:
> http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/984307-post13.html)
>
> Both antennas feed into a VHF/UHF combiner (e.g. Radioshack # 1502586
> https://www.radioshack.com/products/radioshack-vhf-uhf-gold-plated-splitter-combiner
> )

Thanks for sharing your diy experience, it looks like a fun exercise.

I used one of these

https://www.walmart.com/ip/GE-33691-Pro-Bar-HD-200-Amplified-Antenna-Indoor-VHF-UHF-HDTV-Antenna-Bar-50-Mile-Range/50901691

for 3 years in north Fargo. We were located roughly on a straight line
between Fox's tower SSE of town and the PBS/NBC/CBS/ABC cluster NNW of
town (secondary stns were broadcast on each, too). IIRC, Fox's tower was
15 miles away and the NNW cluster was 35-40 miles away. Sitting in my
2nd floor office with metal siding, a pretty mature urban forest and
water tower in the line of sight, that antenna brought in the stations
NNW of us with about 90% reliability; Fox's broadcasts were more like
10%. Spring and fall were bad reception times, but winter and summer
were fine. I would guess the broadcasters ineptly adjusted their power
to the changing foliage in spring/fall, but that's just a guess.

I had intended on replacing the cheapo with an exterior antenna, but
since we didn't watch Fox much, I never got around to it.

When we moved to Winnipeg, I discovered a second nice feature of this
cheapo antenna: it does very well (better?) when pointed at right angles
to a tower. That's good news, because the two towers (CTV v. Global/CBC)
are about 100 degrees apart from my location. I think the CTV tower
actually has too much power for the hardware, which leads to lots of bad
recordings when the antenna is pointed at the tower.

Leo