[mythtv-users] ir-keytable repeating keys

Tom Dexter digitalaudiorock at gmail.com
Sun Sep 24 17:38:22 UTC 2017

On Sun, Sep 24, 2017 at 11:57 AM, Brian S <inanimatecrbnrod at hotmail.com> wrote:
> I have all buttons working correctly, however the double-press/hold is
> really finicky, so for example it'll skip down several menu items when I
> mean to go just one. Anyone know how to disable this behavior or change the
> time registered for a "held" key? From what I'm reading, the -D and -P flags
> for ir-keytable would be the first thing to try changing, but I can't figure
> out where ir-keytable is actually getting started from (mythfrontend is set
> to start automatically) to change the flags. It's not in rc.local, it's not
> listed in the session & startup list, and I don't see it anywhere in init.d,
> although that last one is closing in on the outer bounds of my limited
> knowledge.
>
> Thank you for any ideas.

I just recently switched to ir-keytable on my x86 Gentoo machine after
the kernel change from lirc-serial to ir_serial simply refused to work
for me. I'm very happy with it, but I do find that the repeats are
sometimes (though not always) too fast for me. Having said that, I've
yet to have anything like a double press when I only pressed once,
which would be a much bigger issue.

As far as where the ir-keytable command is getting run on startup, I
can't answer that offhand as far as Ubuntu. On my Gentoo machine I
added by own entry in /etc/local.d to run a script that runs the
ir-keytable command (the rough equivalent of rc.local). Ubuntu 17 uses
systemd doesn't it(?)...possibly that has something that may be
running it. In any case, something must be running ir-keytable.

The default values for the delay and period are apparently 500 and 125
ms respectively. I have my command running with -D 1000 -P 900.

I don't know what to make of the -P (--period) option however. That's
arguably the most important one and for me it's quite hard to tell if
it's making any reliable difference at all. Depending what I do in
MythTV for example, sometimes the arrow keys just simply fly, where
it's clear that it is NOT waiting 900 ms between repeats at all. I
know for sure my settings are taking, and I am restarting X properly
when I make the changes.

Hopefuly someone will have suggestions, as mine could be better as well.

Tom