[mythtv-users] mythtv-setup headless backend

Mark Perkins perkins1724 at hotmail.com
Mon Sep 18 07:49:55 UTC 2017

On 18 September 2017 1:01:15 pm Mark Perkins <perkins1724 at hotmail.com> wrote:

> On 18 September 2017 9:33:36 am Anthony Giggins <seven at seven.dorksville.net> wrote:
>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> Does anyone have a current working solution to run mythtv-setup on a
>> headless backend? currently having nvidia display issues on backend
>>
>> From https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Backend_migration it suggests
>>
>> *Users with headless backends, type: ssh -l mythtv -Y <BackendHost> mythtv-setup
>>

>> however this causes errors
>>
>> I've tried running from a frontend and via putty using Xming server from
>> windows however I'm getting errors from both
>>
>> mysql: [Warning] Using a password on the command line interface can be
>> insecure.
>> ERROR 1046 (3D000) at line 1: No database selected
>> xprop:  unable to open display ''
>> status: Name "com.ubuntu.Upstart" does not exist
>> xterm: Xt error: Can't open display:
>> xterm: DISPLAY is not set
>> Failed to connect to Mir: Failed to connect to server socket: No such file
>> or directory
>> Unable to init server: Could not connect: Connection refused
>>
>> (zenity:27074): Gtk-WARNING **: cannot open display:
>> Failed to connect to Mir: Failed to connect to server socket: No such file
>> or directory
>> Unable to init server: Could not connect: Connection refused
>>
>> (zenity:27079): Gtk-WARNING **: cannot open display:
>>
>> I've tried exporting DISPLAY to both 0.0 and 127.0.0.1:0 (which should work
>> via putty) but nothing is working
>>
>> Cheers,
>>
>> Anthony

> I often use putty and xming from a Windows machine to a headless BE. I had to enable X11 forwarding in putty at the start of the session. I also had to add some IP address details to a putty config file somewhere so that it would accept connections. I will check later when I am home what the details were.

I think this is what I originally needed to do, although I must admit I currently don't see these changes in my x0.hosts file so not sure if it is now no longer needed or I modified my setup in some other way to avoid the requirement.

http://theunixtips.com/xming-client-4-rejected-from-ip/

However if you are having the same problems with both xming and SSH from a separate nix machine then the issue is likely not this.