[mythtv-users] How do I add Mythbuntu control centre (and repros etc) back to Xubuntu?

Mike Bibbings mike.bibbings at gmail.com
Thu Sep 14 12:29:24 UTC 2017

On 14/09/17 12:30, Damian wrote:
> Hi Gang,
>
> I feel really silly asking this, but can't work it out.
>
> When I upgraded my Xubuntu, it turned off some repros and uninstalled
> some stuff. I've noticed that MythTV is still working fine, but the
> Mythbuntu control centre seems to no longer be installed.
>
> No problem, I'll re-add it. Except that I can't work out how! :-)
>
> If I click on the link to install from the Mythbuntu website I think I
> tries to open Ubuntu's software installer/manager. which Xubuntu
> doesn't have.
>
> I thought that I was just having a blond moment with this, but I've
> tried a couple of times and I'm not getting anywhere.
>
> What am I missing?
>
> Cheers,
> Damian

Without knowing what your current version of Xubuntu and mythtv is, it
is difficult to be explicit in an answer, so the following is general.

I presume you did an in-place Xubuntu upgrade, what is your current
version of Xubuntu (lsb_release -a command in a terminal session), also
what was the previous version of Xubuntu?

The following command in a terminal session will tell you about
mythbuntu-control-centre
  apt-cache policy mythbuntu-control-centre

If it is available, just install it (sudo apt-get install
mythbuntu-control-centre)

You could change the Repositories settings using Synaptic, or just add
the appropriate mythtv ppa using information from
https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Installing_MythTV_on_Ubuntu
e.g. for mythtv 0.28

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:mythbuntu/0.28
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgrade

Note if your version of mythtv is 0.27 you will need to upgrade to
atleast 0.28, or even 29 (just released).  note for mythtv 29 use
ppa:mythbuntu/0.29.
Also when upgrading from one mythtv version to another replace sudo
apt-get upgrade with sudo apt-get dist-upgrade, I also recommend a
reboot after this.