[mythtv-users] Alternative to zbox for a frontend

Nick Rout nick.rout at gmail.com
Thu Sep 14 05:54:06 UTC 2017

On Mon, Sep 11, 2017 at 5:38 AM, Peter Bennett <cats22 at comcast.net> wrote:

> On 09/10/2017 01:30 PM, Paul Gardiner wrote:
>
>> Oh astounding! From the wiki, it looks like I might get away with using
>> the pi 2 I was given as a present some time ago and for which until now I
>> never found a use.
>>

> Yes - Pi 2 works well. Just make sure to follow the wiki
> https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Raspberry_Pi especially the "Performance"
> section for best results.

Pi/pi2/pi3 all have the same GPU, so graphics performance on GPU decoded
video will be the same.

The pi3 will give better software decoding, and is faster through GUI
screens. As a general statement a pi3 will software decode h265 up to 720p
(on kodi anyway, dunno about mfe for software decoding on pi)