[mythtv-users] Debian update problem

Mike Perkins mikep at randomtraveller.org.uk
Fri Oct 27 17:25:46 UTC 2017

On 27/10/17 18:12, Mike Perkins wrote:
> [...]
>
> No dice. The upgrade errored out:
>
> Setting up python-future (0.15.2-4) ...
> update-alternatives: using /usr/bin/python2-futurize to provide /usr/bin/futurize (futurize) in auto
> mode
> update-alternatives: using /usr/bin/python2-pasteurize to provide /usr/bin/pasteurize (pasteurize)
> in auto mode
> Setting up libdbus-1-3:amd64 (1.10.22-0+deb9u1) ...
> Setting up mythtv-database (0.28.1+fixes20170926.git172459d737-dmo1+deb9u2) ...
> Failed to connect to database: Access denied for user 'root'@'192.168.151.8' (using password: NO) at
> -e line 5, <> line 1.
> Failed to connect to database: Access denied for user 'root'@'192.168.151.8' (using password: NO) at
> -e line 5, <> line 1.
> dpkg: error processing package mythtv-database (--configure):
>   subprocess installed post-installation script returned error exit status 255
>
> Trouble is, there appears to be no way to recover from this. I tried:
>
> root at jade:/home/micheal# dpkg-reconfigure mythtv-database
> /usr/sbin/dpkg-reconfigure: mythtv-database is broken or not fully installed
> root at jade:/home/micheal#
>
> Then I tried:
>
> root at jade:/home/micheal# apt-get --reinstall install mythtv-database
> Reading package lists... Done
> Building dependency tree
> Reading state information... Done
> The following package was automatically installed and is no longer required:
>    libarchive13
> Use 'apt autoremove' to remove it.
> 0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 1 reinstalled, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
> 1 not fully installed or removed.
> After this operation, 0 B of additional disk space will be used.
> E: Internal Error, No file name for mythtv-database:amd64
> root at jade:/home/micheal#
>
> ...despite the fact that it just installed it! I also tried:
>
> root at jade:/home/micheal# apt-get --reinstall install mythtv-database
> Reading package lists... Done
> Building dependency tree
> Reading state information... Done
> The following package was automatically installed and is no longer required:
>    libarchive13
> Use 'apt autoremove' to remove it.
> 0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 1 reinstalled, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
> 1 not fully installed or removed.
> After this operation, 0 B of additional disk space will be used.
> E: Internal Error, No file name for mythtv-database:amd64
> root at jade:/home/micheal#
>
> There's obviously a post-upgrade install script somewhere that keeps getting tripped but I've no
> idea how to find it. For that matter, I'm not sure what is actually wrong. Was I supposed to put my
> mythtv user and password in there or what? It certainly isn't clear.
>
> Now, I could just nuke the whole thing and start again but there are a lot of tweaks to this system,
> many to appease the systemd demon (Yes, I spelled that right). Not to mention lots of stuff to

Oh, and connecting to the db server from the command line is fine, no passwords required:

root at jade:/home/micheal# mysql -u root
Welcome to the MariaDB monitor.  Commands end with ; or \g.
Your MariaDB connection id is 10210
Server version: 10.1.26-MariaDB-0+deb9u1 Debian 9.1

Copyright (c) 2000, 2017, Oracle, MariaDB Corporation Ab and others.

Type 'help;' or '\h' for help. Type '\c' to clear the current input statement.

MariaDB [(none)]> exit
Bye
root at jade:/home/micheal# mysql -u root mythconverg

Welcome to the MariaDB monitor.  Commands end with ; or \g.
Your MariaDB connection id is 10211
Server version: 10.1.26-MariaDB-0+deb9u1 Debian 9.1

Copyright (c) 2000, 2017, Oracle, MariaDB Corporation Ab and others.

Type 'help;' or '\h' for help. Type '\c' to clear the current input statement.

MariaDB [mythconverg]> exit
Bye
root at jade:/home/micheal#

--