[mythtv-users] Debian update problem

Mike Perkins mikep at randomtraveller.org.uk
Fri Oct 27 17:12:41 UTC 2017

I'm doing a simple "apt-get update" on all my systems before the clocks go forward tomorrow. tzdata
is one of those files which gets updated round about now.

Doing my backend server, which is on stretch, I got a "held back" message for 'python-mythtv' and I
recalled some discussion here recently.

OK, so I did a "dist-upgrade" and it pulled in a whole load of new mythtv components. Along the way
it asked me for a mythtv database user and password. It had filled in "root" with the warning "do
not change this" and there was no password, so I just hit return.

No dice. The upgrade errored out:

Setting up python-future (0.15.2-4) ...
update-alternatives: using /usr/bin/python2-futurize to provide /usr/bin/futurize (futurize) in auto
mode
update-alternatives: using /usr/bin/python2-pasteurize to provide /usr/bin/pasteurize (pasteurize)
in auto mode
Setting up libdbus-1-3:amd64 (1.10.22-0+deb9u1) ...
Setting up mythtv-database (0.28.1+fixes20170926.git172459d737-dmo1+deb9u2) ...
Failed to connect to database: Access denied for user 'root'@'192.168.151.8' (using password: NO) at
-e line 5, <> line 1.
Failed to connect to database: Access denied for user 'root'@'192.168.151.8' (using password: NO) at
-e line 5, <> line 1.
dpkg: error processing package mythtv-database (--configure):
  subprocess installed post-installation script returned error exit status 255

Trouble is, there appears to be no way to recover from this. I tried:

root at jade:/home/micheal# dpkg-reconfigure mythtv-database
/usr/sbin/dpkg-reconfigure: mythtv-database is broken or not fully installed
root at jade:/home/micheal#

Then I tried:

root at jade:/home/micheal# apt-get --reinstall install mythtv-database
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
The following package was automatically installed and is no longer required:
   libarchive13
Use 'apt autoremove' to remove it.
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 1 reinstalled, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
1 not fully installed or removed.
After this operation, 0 B of additional disk space will be used.
E: Internal Error, No file name for mythtv-database:amd64
root at jade:/home/micheal#

...despite the fact that it just installed it! I also tried:

root at jade:/home/micheal# apt-get --reinstall install mythtv-database
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
The following package was automatically installed and is no longer required:
   libarchive13
Use 'apt autoremove' to remove it.
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 1 reinstalled, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
1 not fully installed or removed.
After this operation, 0 B of additional disk space will be used.
E: Internal Error, No file name for mythtv-database:amd64
root at jade:/home/micheal#

There's obviously a post-upgrade install script somewhere that keeps getting tripped but I've no
idea how to find it. For that matter, I'm not sure what is actually wrong. Was I supposed to put my
mythtv user and password in there or what? It certainly isn't clear.

Now, I could just nuke the whole thing and start again but there are a lot of tweaks to this system,
many to appease the systemd demon (Yes, I spelled that right). Not to mention lots of stuff to
record tonight. So how can I fix this?

--

Mike Perkins