[mythtv-users] BE 2 - Remote Frontends Sluggish on FF

Barry Martin barry3martin at gmail.com
Sun Nov 12 15:38:55 UTC 2017

Hi Folks!

Thanks for all the replies!  LIS, I'm an amateur and learned a long time
ago it's sometimes better not to do something when things go wrong and
ask for assistance.   So, yup, ran into another problem.  (Figured I'd
try to post in my morning and possibly get something to try in my
evening.  "My's" based on my local time.)

Will start with Mark only because his message came in first:
>>> mysql -u mythtv -p
>>>
>>> It will as for the password of the new backend database, then give you
>>> a prompt waiting for SQL commands.  Give it these commands (replacing
>>> my frontend hostname with yours):
>>>
>>> delete * from settings where hostname='savaidh';
>>> source savaidh.sql
>>> quit
>> How many command lines is the above supposed to be?  If three, with just
> 3. First line starts with delete. Second with source. Third with quit.
>
> But you probably need to do "connect mythconverg;" before the first command.
>
> I haven't read the thread history carefully but I presume the source line will need the correct file name created in an earlier step and may also need the path to the sql file?

Thanks -- was sort of figuring it was three lines based on the <CR><LF>
display/formatting on this end -- and just noticed the "commands end
with ; or \g"  in  Terminal.  (Some of us newbies get overwhelmed easily!)

Others are stating to use "use mythconverge;" -- not sure if it's the same.

Mike:

>> delete * from settings where hostname='savaidh'
> Should probably just be delete from, not delete * from. Also, check that
> your copy and paste hasn't introduced "smart quotes". They need to be the
> simple "tick" quote that you get from the keyboard, not some fancy-looking
> alternative. Some programs (MS Word for one, probably others as well) will
> change these for you so they look better in documents, but play havoc with
> scripts :-)

I was sort of wondering about that wildcard; just seemed a little
generic use.

As for the copy and paste, I am extracting my thread to LibreOffice
documents  just so I can doodle notes.  Copied the instructions to a
file using gedit to open -- I think that removes the 'pretty' characters.

And last but not least, Steve:

>> Should probably just be delete from, not delete * from. Also, check that
>> your copy and paste hasn't introduced "smart quotes". They need to be the
>> simple "tick" quote that you get from the keyboard, not some fancy-looking
>> alternative. Some programs (MS Word for one, probably others as well) will
>> change these for you so they look better in documents, but play havoc with
>> scripts :-)
> Yes, Mark and Mike are both right, I think it should be:
>
>    use mythconverg;
>    delete from settings where hostname='savaidh';
>    source savaidh.sql
>    quit
>
> Sorry about that - I was unable to easily test those commands as I did
> not want to mess up my database.

<chuckle>  I don't blame you!  I'm trying to double and triple-check
before I do anything! :)

So:
mysql -u mythtv -p
user = mythtv and then it wants mythtv's password -- not an absolute
newbie! <g>

At the mysql prompt: use mythconverge;
Ah poop:  "ERROR 1044 (42000): Access denied for user 'mythtv'@'%' to
database 'mythconverge'

Trying sudo use mythconverge; gives "error 1064 (4200) - error in
syntax".   (Well it sounded logical!)

I'll post and wait for assistance before I screw things up too much!

TIA!
Barry