[mythtv-users] using mythtv while traveling

Jim Abernathy jfabernathy at outlook.com
Tue May 23 23:42:27 UTC 2017

On 05/23/2017 02:59 PM, George Bingham wrote:

-- George

On Tue, May 23, 2017 at 6:31 AM, Another Sillyname <anothersname at googlemail.com<mailto:anothersname at googlemail.com>> wrote:
Jim

The problem you'll always have is that as you move to each campground
you will always have to setup your channels 'as a new setup' because
it's the only way you can 'capture' what channels are on what
frequencies.

What you could do potentially is setup a different 'Video Sources' in
mythtv setup as you move to each campground (and perhaps name the
video source the same as that location).  Then as you revisit an
existing pre captured location you can use that video source.

I use this methodology to combine DVB-T2 and DVB-S2 systems into one
usable frontend system,

On 23 May 2017 at 12:17, Jim Abernathy <jfabernathy at outlook.com<mailto:jfabernathy at outlook.com>> wrote:
> We travel at lot in an RV camper and it has good OTA and Cable TV
> depending on the Campground. Some have no cable and we use OTA or
> DirecTV Satellite. Since you can't get the Local network stations via
> satellite outside your home location due to beaming I have to locate the
> network channels OTA or via Cable if the park has cable.
>
> The problem is that the cables systems vary from campground to
> campground.  All are unencrypted QAM so a TV or HDHomeRun Connect set to
> "cable" can find the stations.
>
> I'd like to setup a camper version of a Mythtv backend and frontend but
> I want to understand the best way to change the cable or OTA channel
> setting from week to week as I move around.
>
> I've only set up a system at home where the HDHomerun Connect and Mythtv
> find one set up channels via OTA.
>
> I use ScheduleDirect for my scheduling at home.  Not sure but I'm hoping
> I could change ScheduleDirect settings to other zipcodes to receive OTA
> in other locations.  Not sure about Cable systems that maybe privately
> setup just for the campground.
>
> Any ideas on a easier setup?

I have never moved my mythtv backend around like you are wanting to do, but I do use it for OTA stations.

I bet the previous advice on setting up a new video source each time you settle in a particular area would work.

I don't know how much work is involved in setting up your schedules direct subscription for a distinct set of channels in each location, but I just use the very limited schedules provided OTA. That provides show titles and descriptions, but generally not episode titles or season or episode numbers, but *should* work wherever you get OTA signals. It only provides 12-24 hours worth of info ahead, but that may be all you need if you're only going to spend a day or two in one place anyway.

Let us know how it goes and what tips work for you as you move about.

so I want to setup an experiment to learn what I need to do.  So on my home system what do I need to do to test an OTA limited schedule video source?  If I choose ETI I then have to associate that video source with an input.  Do I just change one of my ScheduleDirect input connections to the video source that uses ETI? Since I have 4 tuners I could do that temporarily, but I don't want to break anything and I'm not sure how to setup a recording that only goes to the ETI source.

Ultimately, I'm looking for a process that's easy to change every few days as I move around.

Jim A