[mythtv-users] using mythtv while traveling

George Bingham georgeb1962 at gmail.com
Tue May 23 18:59:10 UTC 2017

-- George

On Tue, May 23, 2017 at 6:31 AM, Another Sillyname <
anothersname at googlemail.com> wrote:

> Jim
>
> The problem you'll always have is that as you move to each campground
> you will always have to setup your channels 'as a new setup' because
> it's the only way you can 'capture' what channels are on what
> frequencies.
>
> What you could do potentially is setup a different 'Video Sources' in
> mythtv setup as you move to each campground (and perhaps name the
> video source the same as that location).  Then as you revisit an
> existing pre captured location you can use that video source.
>
> I use this methodology to combine DVB-T2 and DVB-S2 systems into one
> usable frontend system,
>

> On 23 May 2017 at 12:17, Jim Abernathy <jfabernathy at outlook.com> wrote:
> > We travel at lot in an RV camper and it has good OTA and Cable TV
> > depending on the Campground. Some have no cable and we use OTA or
> > DirecTV Satellite. Since you can't get the Local network stations via
> > satellite outside your home location due to beaming I have to locate the
> > network channels OTA or via Cable if the park has cable.
> >
> > The problem is that the cables systems vary from campground to
> > campground.  All are unencrypted QAM so a TV or HDHomeRun Connect set to
> > "cable" can find the stations.
> >
> > I'd like to setup a camper version of a Mythtv backend and frontend but
> > I want to understand the best way to change the cable or OTA channel
> > setting from week to week as I move around.
> >
> > I've only set up a system at home where the HDHomerun Connect and Mythtv
> > find one set up channels via OTA.
> >
> > I use ScheduleDirect for my scheduling at home.  Not sure but I'm hoping
> > I could change ScheduleDirect settings to other zipcodes to receive OTA
> > in other locations.  Not sure about Cable systems that maybe privately
> > setup just for the campground.
> >
> > Any ideas on a easier setup?

I have never moved my mythtv backend around like you are wanting to do, but
I do use it for OTA stations.

I bet the previous advice on setting up a new video source each time you
settle in a particular area would work.

I don't know how much work is involved in setting up your schedules direct
subscription for a distinct set of channels in each location, but I just
use the very limited schedules provided OTA. That provides show titles and
descriptions, but generally not episode titles or season or episode
numbers, but *should* work wherever you get OTA signals. It only provides
12-24 hours worth of info ahead, but that may be all you need if you're
only going to spend a day or two in one place anyway.

Let us know how it goes and what tips work for you as you move about.