[mythtv-users] HDHomeRun Prime failure

David Hampton mythtv at dhampton.net
Thu May 11 21:20:36 UTC 2017

On Wed, 2017-05-03 at 14:42 +0000, Gary Buhrmaster wrote:
> On Wed, May 3, 2017 at 1:43 PM, David Hampton <mythtv at dhampton.net>
> wrote:
> > I had a power failure last night, and this morning my HDHR3-6CC
> > won't
> > power back up. I remember some of the smaller units having problems
> > that were solved by replacing the power brick, but this unit has an
> > internal power supply. Does anyone have suggestions on how to fix
> > it?
> > Thanks.
>
> The 6CC's power supply is likely dead due to its age
> (it is a common failure mode).  It is a fairly standard
> open frame design.  SiliconDust sells a replacement
> (at what is a more or less nominal cost).  You can also
> source it locally(*).  Digikey and mouser and jameco
> all sell substitutes too, but as the particular model
> that was in the 6CC has been rev'ed, you need to
> know your open frame designs to follow the new
> numbers, and the single unit pricing (with shipping)
> usually makes it cheaper to purchase the replacement
> from SiliconDust.  I believe SliconDust asks that you
> open a support ticket and just say your 6CC power
> supply appears to be dead, and they take it from
> there.

SD was great. Like you said, all I had to do was open a case with them.
The two options they gave me were to buy a power supply from them and
install it myself, or send them the box and they would swap out the
power supply and do general maintenance on the system.  I installed the
new power supply today.

David