[mythtv-users] Frontend Raspberry Pi setup issues

Peter Bennett cats22 at comcast.net
Tue Jul 25 23:49:28 UTC 2017

On 07/25/2017 06:27 PM, DryHeat122 . wrote:
> So I have two more questions if you guys don't mind.  First, I
> checked, and it now works with wifi. iperf says the rate to port 6543
> is 17.5 Mbps.  Is that right on the edge of what's needed or is there
> room for the rate to go down some?  I don't know what h.264 consumes.
> I ask because I am testing it in the middle of the day when the
> neighbors are at work and per @mike's post it might not be as good
> later on.

The highest rate for HD that I have seen is approx 17.7 Mb/s. This is
based on 8 GB/hour, which some channels use with MPEG-2. With H264 it
should be much less, by about a factor of 5. However wifi speed can vary
so that it may work fine for a while then slow down randomly, so I would
recommend using a wired connection. There are options for ethernet over
powerline and ethernet over coax which may help in your situation.