[mythtv-users] Liva X wifi, hostapd: "deauthenticated due to local deauth request"

A. F. Cano afc at shibaya.lonestar.org
Sun Jan 29 21:30:42 UTC 2017

On Wed, Jan 25, 2017 at 07:05:18AM -0800, Karl Newman wrote:
>    I have an original Liva (not the Liva X) which I'm using as a WiFi
>    extender in the back part of my house (I'm actually connected to it now).
>    I'm using Gentoo, and I don't know if the hardware is the same (mine uses
>    the Broadcom FULLMAC WLAN module with brcmfmac43241b4-sdio.bin firmware),

Different wlan chip, but the chip/driver might not be the issue...

>    but I can't use a kernel newer than 3.18.7 or the WiFi access point stops

Not good news if it's a kernel issue.

>    working after a few hours. I tried doing a kernel bisect to find the
>    offending commit, but ran into a kernel panic on boot in some of the
>    bisects which made it impossible to determine if the problem existed in
>    the bisected version or not. I ran out of time and motivation or I would

Yeah, I think my motivation ran out when I found that I could connect
without wpa enabled.  Fiddling with kernels is not likely since I use
this myth box all the time.

>    have done another bisect to find a patch which would revert the kernel
>    panic commit so I could focus back on the WLAN. I didn't try removing
>    security as you did, but that might be an interesting avenue of
>    exploration. This information may not be useful to you, but if it's
>    possible you might try reverting the kernel to 3.18.7 and see if you have
>    any better luck.

Thanks for replying.  At this point, I think I'll just turn off the wifi
when not in use (/etc/init.d/hostapd stop/start) since I only plan to use
it to sync the calendar/contacts/todo lists on a phone, and that's not even
working yet.  Hopefully an upcoming kernel fix will take care of this
issue soon but if not, I'll keep bringing it up/down when needed.

I found an additional issue.  Maybe as a result of bridging the wlan and
eth1 interfaces, the default route got messed up.  I had to:

route del default and then
route add default gw <my gateway machine>

and then it worked again.

Thanks again for the additional insights.

Augustine