[mythtv-users] Intermittent macroblocking on Ceton InfiniTV 6 ETH - Cure(s)?

Peter Bennett cats22 at comcast.net
Mon Jan 9 16:39:32 UTC 2017

On 01/08/2017 04:01 PM, Craig Huff wrote:
> Gary,
>
> Thanks for the suggestions. I've already started chasing those
> possibilities down.
>
> I found one unused cable wall plate that was connected to my
> distribution amp and replaced the cable with a termination, but that
> didn't do anything to the S/N.  Since I'm currently only using two of
> the four outputs on the amplifier, I may try and see what happens if I
> replace it with a passive two port splitter -- I know the signal level
> will (probably) be lower, but it would eliminate any noise introduced
> by the distribution amp.
>
> Testing at the demark will have to wait for later.
>
> In regards to the QoS question, I'm not sure if this applies because
> the Ceton is connected to a port on an unmanaged etherswitch (Trendnet
> TEG-S80g, to be specific) and the MythTV BE is connected to another
> one on the same etherswitch. If I understand correctly, if QoS were
> even controllable on the LAN, I'd have to have a managed
> etherswitch/router to set it up, or is there another hole in my
> "knowledgebase"?
>
> --
> Craig.
I had a problem like this and it was caused by running through a D-Link
Router. After replacing that with a TP-Link switch it was resolved. Are
your switches and the backend ethernet running at Gigabit speeds?

Currently I have a single 2-way splitter on the cable from Comcast, one
side running to the Ceton and the other running to the Cable modem. This
works fine.

Make sure you have a good quality splitter. I picked one up at the
Comcast office where they give them for free to customers.

What is the "distribution amp"? Something from Comcast? You should not
put your own amplifier in the circuit since that will block signals
going back to the cable company.

Peter