[mythtv-users] Need help with a frontend that has a chicken vs. egg problem

Craig Huff huffcslists at gmail.com
Sat Jan 7 21:31:47 UTC 2017

I have my remote frontends set up to use etherwake when the backend isn't
already running.

I also have them set up to nfs mount /var/lib/mythtv/music and
/var/lib/mythtv/videos so I can play music and imported videos on the
frontends while keeping the collections in one place on the backend.

My problem is that the nfs mounts getting stuck because the backend isn't
up yet.  As a result, I don't get far enough in the bootup to start
mythfrontend which would trigger sending the etherwake message to wake up
the backend.

Hence the chicken vs. the egg issue:  I can't do the nfs mounts because the
backend isn't up yet, but the etherwake message to start the backend
doesn't get sent because I can't get past the nfs mounts.

Right now I trudge upstairs to start the backend and then back downstairs
to the frontend I want to watch on and start it up (or send out the
etherwake messages from something at hand wherever I am -- smartphone,
laptop, ...). Usually those handy devices are upstairs, too :-(.

I would appreciate suggestions on how best to fix this.

Possibilities I'm considering:

   1. Add a startup script (upstart/init/systemd) to proactively invoke
   etherwake to wake up the backend (which will ignore the message if it's
   already up).
   2. Add the noauto clause to the nfs mounts in /etc/fstab. (But then I'd
   have to manually log in and issue mount commands to get them mounted each
   time.)
   3. Dredge up my neglected knowledge of automounting to set them up to
   automatically mount only when something actually attempts to access them.
   4. ...?

I'm currently leaning towards the first one, but I've already got several
things going on with startup scripts. I'm not looking forward to the fact
that I'll either have to rewrite them for systemd when I move from Ubuntu
14.04 to 16.04 or just scrap them as too much bother.

Thoughts, anyone?

--
Craig.