[mythtv-users] Duplicate channels

Mike Perkins mikep at randomtraveller.org.uk
Thu Jan 5 16:59:13 UTC 2017

On 05/01/17 16:35, Stuart Auchterlonie wrote:
> On 02/01/17 21:52, Simon Hobson wrote:
>> Jeffrey Ratcliffe <jeffrey.ratcliffe at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Apologies. I should have mentioned that I am using freesat DVB-S/S2.
>>
>> That does affect the answer "quite a lot" !
>> On Freesat, you get everything everywhere - there's no regionalisation at the transmitter level as with Freeview.
>> So you get (for example) all the ITV regions regardless of where you are - and these are probably all labelled "ITV". I assume there must be information somewhere to work out which ID is which region - otherwise you'd have to watch them all and see what adverts you get :-(
>>

> That is transmitted in the BAT (Bouquet Association Table).
>
> We are able to decode it, but we don't currently do anything
> with the information from it.
>
> These exist on DVB-S/S2 but not on DVB-T/T2 (in the uk at least)
>
> The problem with DVB-T/T2 is we don't do any differentiation on which
> mplex provides the best signal, and ignore the duplicates from
> the less favourable mplex(es).

Actually, the best signal isn't always the one you want. For example, you could end up with the
wrong regional programs if you live in an area where you can get more than one signal.

I have always wanted the Transport Editor to display the transmitter name, which is available in the
signal (DVB-T/T2). I know it is because it comes out on the console whenever I do a scan.

The idea then is that the user can select just that transmitter (or those transmitters) which they
actually want.

--

Mike Perkins