[mythtv-users] Duplicate channels

Stuart Auchterlonie stuarta at squashedfrog.net
Thu Jan 5 16:35:27 UTC 2017

On 02/01/17 21:52, Simon Hobson wrote:
> Jeffrey Ratcliffe <jeffrey.ratcliffe at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Apologies. I should have mentioned that I am using freesat DVB-S/S2.
>
> That does affect the answer "quite a lot" !
> On Freesat, you get everything everywhere - there's no regionalisation at the transmitter level as with Freeview.
> So you get (for example) all the ITV regions regardless of where you are - and these are probably all labelled "ITV". I assume there must be information somewhere to work out which ID is which region - otherwise you'd have to watch them all and see what adverts you get :-(

That is transmitted in the BAT (Bouquet Association Table).

We are able to decode it, but we don't currently do anything
with the information from it.

These exist on DVB-S/S2 but not on DVB-T/T2 (in the uk at least)

The problem with DVB-T/T2 is we don't do any differentiation on which
mplex provides the best signal, and ignore the duplicates from
the less favourable mplex(es).

Regards
Stuart