[mythtv-users] mythbackend lockup/crash

Stuart Auchterlonie stuarta at squashedfrog.net
Mon Feb 27 11:23:12 UTC 2017

On 27/02/17 01:27, Tom Bishop wrote:

> On Sun, Feb 26, 2017 at 5:01 PM, Martin Gallant <martyg at goodbit.net
> <mailto:martyg at goodbit.net>> wrote:
>
>     Before you start pulling you hair out over the software, suggest you
>     inspect your machines for plugged up fans and heatsinks.
>
>     What you describe could be consistent with a thermal/overheating
>     issue, especially if the system has been stable a long time.
>
>     snip
>

> I should have included more information but my backend is a KVM vm, the
> linux host is fuly operational when mythbackend stops responding, thats
> the best way to describe it.  Mythweb doesn't work and anything that
> tries to connect to the backend times out.  The process is still running
> but it just stops responding to anything.
>
> I created a cron script to check on connectivity to the backend every
> minute and restart it if it finds it not responding.  I will probably
> also create a cron to nightly restart mythbackend and that really will
> prolly due it but never have had to do that in the past.
>
> For the most part it just works but something hangs it in an odd way.

I've seen something similar. It does get into this weird state where
it takes ages to respond, so the frontends disconnect after their 7s
timeout, and then they reconnect again straight away, but continue to
disconnect & reconnect.

I've mainly managed to hit this when trying to change to non functional
channels whilst watching livetv.

Dunno of the exact cause at the moment, but it's quite annoying when it
does happen.

As the only proper way to recover from this is to restart the backend,
for debugging purposes taking a gcore of the backend first will provide
a core file for debugging.

Regards
Stuart