[mythtv-users] frontend fails

Greg Oliver oliver.greg at gmail.com
Fri Feb 24 16:03:08 UTC 2017

On Fri, Feb 24, 2017 at 8:51 AM, Peter Bennett <cats22 at comcast.net> wrote:

> On 02/24/2017 09:36 AM, Greg Oliver wrote:
>>
>> I have also found that with 0.28, if the backend starts up before the
>> network, 2 things happen:
>>
>> 1.  It only binds to localhost and never binds to the interface IP
>> even after it comes up.
>> 2.  All network tuners cannot be used until it is restarted and it
>> binds to the interface address.  Local tuners work OK.
>>
>> Major step backward from previous (< 0.28) behaviour.
>

> Can you create a ticket for this. If you have created one, let me know the
> number and I will look into this, as I am currently looking at network
> issues.
>
> Do you have a way to reproduce this for testing purposes?
>
> Peter

I run Fedora here, but systemd nonetheless.  The frontends always work
successfully as soon as the backend(s) come online (they display the
backend not reachable message, but work once it comes up).

The standard sysytemd waitfornetworkonline,
waitfornetworkmanageronline, etc do not work properly (I tested them
all - Fedora 25).  I was not on Ubuntu before, but Fedora as well.  It
was systemd also, but I cannot remember the version - the backend is a
set it and forget it machine for me.  It was several years ago, so I
honestly do not remember if I tweaked it as well.  Actually I cannot
say for sure, now that you mention it, that this was not happening pre
0.28 - maybe my original statement was not accurate and I did modify
some systemd units to make it work???

I did not file a bug as I do not consider it MythTVs fault it wants
the network (although a good daemon should consider network state IMO
:)

I just wrapped it in a ping before start and went about my business.
I can file a bug if you want though.

-Greg