[mythtv-users] comment on lugins

Mark Perkins perkins1724 at hotmail.com
Tue Feb 14 20:23:27 UTC 2017

On 15 February 2017 12:36:49 AM James Linder <jam at tigger.ws> wrote:

>   Hi
> For many years I've used a myth system to record and watch tv. That
> works well and I'm happy.
>
> When I needed an entertainment center for saturation divers who spend
> upto 28 days closed in the chamber or 17 odd hours decompressing from
> 300 m (sic) with all the hastles of gas mixture changes etc to stay
> alive I immediately thought of mythtv.
>
> I'm posting this, as an invite for comments or to be straightened out
> where I'm misguided.
> For my testing I setup a mythbuntu 14.04 system with netvision.
>
> First I tried mythmusic. Compared to amarock or clementine this is
> terrible and scarsely usable. There is no obvious way to select a song
> (welcome to the long list). Scanning is a pain. How can myth create such
> crap? Wow, blown away.
>
> Next I tried netvision. On par with mythmusic. First pass at browse
> internet videos I selected TED and YouTube.
> I no longer have the selection I just have TED/YouTube
>
> I can browse YouTube but when I try to play something I get 'unknown error'
> Using the Chrome browser on it's own everything works normally.
>
> Why am I having such a torrid time, yet the tools seem well accepted and
> people are happy with them?
>
> Thanks
> James
If you are interested in mythmusic you should probably go with mythbuntu
16.04 which will run 0.28 out of the box. 14.04 runs 0.27. I believe a lot
of fixes and improvements went into mythmusic 0.28 that couldn't be
backported to 0.27. Also I assume you ran the updates? Otherwise you will
be missing 3 years of fixes.

I suspect that most people use either chrome / Firefox instead of the built
in browser. It works well enough that way and it doesn't take much to
configure it. But even then I believe there have been recent threads to do
with YouTube changes that may be ongoing.

Try some different themes as well to see if the different layouts suit you
better.  Maybe mythcenter-wide. Also Kodi frontends seem popular but I
don't use one so can't advise much in that regard.

But if this is an entertainment system that is not going to be used for TV
(reception pretty bad 300m underwater I guess) then not sure MythTV is the
way to go. It has been stated to have issues if no tuners are defined (a
dummy tuner is acceptable as I understand it). And if just for music or
just for video there are probably better programs out there. Mythtv excels
with TV.