[mythtv-users] Keybinding for volume controls

Peter Bennett pb.mythtv at gmail.com
Thu Dec 28 19:01:55 UTC 2017

On 12/28/2017 07:55 AM, Jim Abernathy wrote:
> Having issues with volume control buttons locking up Mythtv Frontend.  I
> have to CTL-ATL-DEL to get back to logging out.  This is on a Ubuntu
> 16.04 LTS system with mythtv 0.28.
>
> If I use the [ or ] keys the volume changes as expected. However, I'd
> like to use the volume-, volume +, and mute buttons on this keyboard
> since that is what I used to use for mythtv and still do for all other
> programs and system sound functions.
>
> I first noticed this when I added a NVidia GT 710 card to my Core 2 Duo
> system to improve the video playback.  I first tried HDMI audio to the
> builtin monitor speakers and the system locked up as soon as the volume
> buttons were pressed.  Switching to analog audio out for external
> speakers now only occasionally locks up, plus I can use the volume
> controls on the external speaker amps. so I have a work around.
>
> I need to figure out how to change the keybindings so I can use the
> volume buttons on the keyboard instead of [ and ] or retrain myself and
> wife not to use the normal keyboard volume control buttons. I'm
> concerned about changing buttons that are system wide assigned like the
> vol-, vol+, and mute buttons.
>
> Any ideas?
>
> Jim A

You have to disable the built in mechanism in the Ubuntu GUI that grabs
the keystrokes before they get to MythTV.

In Ubuntu - run dconf-editor then navigate to
org.gnome.settings-daemon.plugins.media-keys and remove the
actions from keys.

In Xubuntu - use Settings Manager > Keyboard Preferences > Shortcuts and
remove the volume up / down assignments

After this you can use the keybinding settings in MythFrontend to assign
those keys. Pressing the key when prompted will interpret the key and
allow you to assign it as you wish.

Peter