[mythtv-users] Struggling to get IP TV working

Phill Edwards philledwards at gmail.com
Wed Dec 27 21:23:37 UTC 2017

I'm trying to get IP TV working. I've largely been using
https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/IPTV_Encoders_as_a_Capture_Device as my
inspiration.

I've found some streaming URLs to use as a test (a local surf cam) and
created my .m3u8 file:
#EXTM3U
#EXTINF:0,300 - Surfcams
#EXTMYTHTV:xmltvid=hls.surfcams
#EXT-X-STREAM-INF:PROGRAM-ID=1,BANDWIDTH=563000,RESOLUTION=1280x720,CODECS="av
c1.77.30, mp4a.40.2"
https://edgecastcdn.net/242977/default1/manlycamerahd.m3u8

I know the stream works because I tested
https://edgecastcdn.net/242977/default1/manlycamerahd.m3u8 in VLC. The
BANDWIDTH, RESOLUTION etc are a copy & paste from a sample NASA TV m3u8
file so probably don't apply to the surfcam stream but I doubt that's the
problem.

Here's what I've done:

1) Added a new capture card of type IPTV recorder and the M3U URL
is file:///home/phill/Videos/ip_surfcam.m3u8

2) Created a new Video Source which I called "IPTV" and has no listings
grabber.

3) Created an Input Connection where I selected MPEGTS as the Input Name
and used IPTV as the Video Source. When I scan for channels here I get one
new channel which I can see in the program guide but there are, of course,
no programs listed

The problem is that when I try to watch Live TV of this new channel I get
the message:
"MythTV is already using all available inputs for the channel you selected.
If you want to watch an in-progress recording, select one from the playback
menu. If you want to watch Live TV, cancel one of the in-progress
recordings from the delete menu".

And if I try to record it I it won't record (presumably because it has no
program listings). So I set up a manual recording schedule but it doesn't
record anything and when I look at the recording entry in Scheduled
Recordings it says "Single Record -- Recorder Off-Line".

Can anyone please tell me how I actually record or watch this new IP
channel?