[mythtv-users] need help getting an Nvidia card working

Jim Abernathy jfabernathy at outlook.com
Mon Dec 25 16:14:48 UTC 2017

I'm trying to improve the mythtv playback on an old Core 2 Duo system.
With the internal Intel GFX there were video issues with HD content, so
I bought a GT 710 PCIe GFX card.  The Acer monitor has built in speakers
so I connect the GT710 to the monitor with HDMI the same as I used to do
the Intel internal GFX.

The first thing I did was install the Nvidia proprietary GFX driver and
make sure the video and audio worked correctly in normal Ubuntu 16.04
sound and video apps. I have mute, vol+, and vol- buttons on my USB
keyboard and I can use them to control volume in normal Ubuntu sound
apps and I used to be able to use them with Mythtv frontend with Intel GFX.

However, if I run mythtv frontend on Nvidia GFX everything works great
until I touch the sound buttons.  mythtv FE freezes and I have to use
CTL-ALT-F1 to get to a login screen so I can reboot.

The first time I ran Mythtv FE with the new Nvidia GFX card I changed
the setup to VDPAU HQ and I set audio to the NVIDIA HDMI Dev 1.  I made
sure the theme painter was auto.  I also tested the SD and HD test
videos and they work with sound perfectly.  It's just when I touch the
mute, vol-, and vol+ buttons on the USB keyboard.

Any ideas where to start checking? or did I miss a setting when I
switched in the GT710 card?

Jim A