[mythtv-users] mythtv under Gentoo Linux

Mike Hodson mystica at gmail.com
Thu Dec 21 11:34:15 UTC 2017

On Thu, Dec 21, 2017 at 6:07 AM, Keith Millar <keith at fnkmillar.com> wrote:

> I also run MythTV 0.28.1 on a Gentoo system and it has been rock
> solid. However as purley an end user keeping it up to date seems to
> get harder and harder. I have been thinking of moving to another
> distro, but I will likely stay on Gentoo untill force to move.
>
> On 21 December 2017 at 03:09, James Miller <gajs-f0el at dea.spamcon.org>
> wrote:
> > On Wed, 20 Dec 2017, Paul B. Henson wrote:
> >
> >> I was curious how many other people are running Gentoo? Sadly it looks
> >> like there is no current mythtv mainainer for Gentoo :(, there's a
> >> mostly workable ebuild for 0.28.1, still marked unstable but at least no
> >> longer hard masked, but nothing yet for 29.0.
> >

> > There are a few on here that run Gentoo, of which I am one (my technical
> > acumen is barely adequate to the task of administering this FE/BE
> system). I
> > have some of the same questions as you. There's a thread on the Gentoo
> > forums discussing the stability of .28 and in which contributors are
> > asserting that 29 is now current. There is also discussion there about
> the
> > fact that MythTV is now orphaned under Gentoo, and solicitation for a
> proxy
> > maintainer. That's way above my pay grade so, although I'd like to see a
> 29
> > ebuild, I cannot contribute in any meaningful way to bringing about that
> > end. I'll be interested to see responses of other Gentoo users to your
> > query.

I'll look into what needs to be modified to work with 0.29 in the ebuild,
and see if I can get one submitted for beta..

I've been a gentooer for far longer than I ran mythtv, but I stick around
here because of the great community and always am hoping to help if
possible in cases that apply to my knowledge-set.

(I stopped having any TV service years back and haven't decided to hook up
my hdhomerun to an antenna in the meantime, as youtube has provided me
enough entertainment vs linear TV)

Can those of you who run it on Gentoo let me know some of the 'pain points'
you may have, so I can get an idea for what may need to be improved if
anything more than just 'tweaking versions in the ebuild' is needed?

Mike