[mythtv-users] Quiet, reliable hard drives

Hika van den Hoven hikavdh at gmail.com
Mon Dec 11 21:44:37 UTC 2017

Hoi Tim,

>  ---- On Mon, 11 Dec 2017 20:48:23 +0000 Mark Wedel <mwedel at sonic.net> wrote ----
 >>
 >>   Any recommendations for a quiet & reliable hard drive for mythtv?  SSD would
 >> fit the bill, but at 2 TB capacity (what I'm looking at), still a bit pricey.
 >>
 >>   I'm currently running 2 machines - a system with enterprise quality HD that
 >> stores the data in a far way room (drives going on 5 years of operation and
 >> still strong) and a frontend/main linux computer with all SSD.  Ideally, I'd
 >> like to consolidate, but those enterprised HDs are quite noisy, and I like the
 >> relatively quietness I have now.
 >>
 >>   Mythtv pretty much never records more than 1 thing at a time.  The storage is
 >> also used for zoneminder & other minor storage use.
 >>
 >>   I'm tempted by the 2.5" lap top drives - those generally seem quieter & lower
 >> power, but I'm not sure if they'd be up to long term use.  Though the Firecuda
 >> comes with a 5 year warranty, suggesting some degree of robustness.
 >>
 >>   I currently mirror all of my data, and I'd probably want to do that with the
 >> new setup.  I'll probably free up an SSD, so can use that as read/write cache.
 >>
 >>   Looking for thoughts/suggestions.
 >>
 >>   Thanks.

> i too would like to fully SSD my home server, but a raid1 of 4TB's
> is prohibitly expensive for a nicety.
> are you interested in a new case? best advice i can give is one
> with HDD vibration kits. some sort of rubber mounted mechanism really is the way to go.

> i personally go for WD or Hitachi for mechanical. fwiw, crucial for SSD.

> aside from performance, i've not had much issue between 2.5 or 3.5
> drives, they've all been much of a muchness for reliability.

> your setup sounds similar to mine. I'm running a Pentium G3240, 6GB
> ram, ssd boot, 2x 4tb WD Red in raid1, and the quietest 2.5" drive i
> could find for mythtv recordings which turned out to be a spare
> 250gb WD laptop HDD. The Reds had an annoying churning noise when
> mythtv recording. ZM runs as a partition on the raid1 Red to go with file server.

My backend has 4 4T WDreds and I do not really hear them. The sound I
mostly hear are the fans to keep the system cool. Also why bother
about a little bit noise on your backend, it does not need to be in a
room you normally use and if it is a little bigger machine you do not
even want it there for its looks! Just put it somewhere with enough
ventilation and out of sight and hearing.

A frontend is something different.

Tot mails,
  Hika                            mailto:hikavdh at gmail.com

"Zonder hoop kun je niet leven