[mythtv-users] Ortek VRC-1100 IR receiver on Gentoo

faginbagin mythtv at hbuus.com
Fri Apr 7 05:01:56 UTC 2017

On 4/5/2017 9:06 PM, mythtv wrote:
> On 04/05/2017 07:02 PM, Peter Bennett wrote:
>>

>> On 04/05/2017 06:31 PM, mythtv wrote:
>>> Ok, I have the udev rules in place, and irremote0 and irremote1 show
>>> up under /dev/input.  They are linked to input2 and input4. But when
>>> Itry to test them with ir-keytable -d /dev/input/event2 -t I get
>>> nothing.  I'm using a different remote, could that be the problem?
>>> Its an MCE remote but not the one that came with the receiver.
>> If you just plug the remote in, open a terminal and press a few keys
>> on the remote you should see it echoing them as if it was a keyboard.
>> It does not use ir-keytable, as far as linux is concerned the remote
>> is a keyboard and a mouse.
>>
>> I literally plug it in and use it, no changes at all to anything, and
>> I test it in a bash session. The number keys should echo numbers, play
>> should echo P and so on.
>>
>> Does yours not work like this?
>>
>> Peter
> Mine does not work like this.  Again, I'm wondering if it's because I'm
> using a different remote.  I'm not sure I even know where the actual
> remote is that came with the receiver.  Do you have a different remote
> that you can test with?

The Ortek receiver will flicker a red light when it recognizes a signal
from the remote. If you don't see the red light, then the remote you're
using is not compatible.

I recommend following Peter's advice. Forget lirc and ir-keytable, they
won't help getting this receiver working. As far as the computer is
concerned, the receiver looks like a USB keyboard and mouse (aka HID
Human Interface Device), not an IR receiver. I'm speaking as the
original author of the Adesso ARC-1100 (re-branded Ortek VRC-1100) wiki
page that Karl updated. Back when I first wrote that page in 2009, it
wasn't so easy to edit keyboard mappings. It's much easier now.

Regards,
Helen