[mythtv-users] Backend machine seems to crash every few days

stinga stinga+mythtv at wolf-rock.com
Thu Sep 29 12:41:32 UTC 2016

On 29/09/16 10:36, Damian wrote:
> I don't know if this is a Myth backend issue, or something bigger, but
> my backend/sever seems to crash/hang every few days.
>
> The computer seems to still be running (the light is on), but I can't
> access the machine via vnc or ssh or anything. I can't even ping it.
> It's a headless server, so I just have to hold the power button in and
> then start it up again.
>
> Can anyone help me to get to the bottom of this? I have no idea what
> I'm looking at if I view a log file.
G'day,

1 - Look in the logs
2 - Enable remote logging, so you can log the errors
3 - do a memory test, http://www.memtest.org/

I the machine on for all that time?
Could also be overheating.
Could be flaky PSU, got a spare? swap it just to see what happpens

Sometimes reseating all connections just solves the problem

I would go with 3 as a starting point and reseat all memory and
connections, maybe remove the dust bunnies (search for it).

--
'ooroo

Stinga...(:)-)
Email: stinga+mythtv at wolf-rock.com  o
You need only two tools.        o /////
A hammer and duct tape. If it    /@   `\  /) ~
doesn't move and it should use  >  (O)  X<  ~  Fish!!
the hammer. If it moves and      `\___/'  \) ~
shouldn't, use the tape.           \\\