[mythtv-users] Completely cable/satellite cutting???

Jim Abernathy jfabernathy at outlook.com
Fri Sep 16 11:26:43 UTC 2016

On 09/15/2016 07:53 PM, George Mari wrote:
> On 9/10/16 9:46 AM, James Abernathy wrote:
>> I’m a longtime Mythtv and DirecTV user.  I started using Mythtv with
>> HDHomeRun and HVR-2250 to offload my DirecTV 2 channel recording
>> limit by recording all OTA local channels on Mythtv and using the
>> DirecTV DVR for recording Satellite only channels.
>>
>> <snip>
>> With all that said, I’m now trying to figure out the fewest
>> interfaces on my TV so my wife and I can view everything.  She can
>> work DirecTV, so I think she will be able to work Roku and Kodi.  But
>> it sure would be nice to get it to just the Roku.
>>
>> That means I need to setup/convert Mythtv to be compatible with Roku.
>>
> One stumbling block I am aware of is that OTA recordings are native
> MPEG2 format, while most set-top boxes such Roku, if they support
> something like UPNP, natively support MP4 or H.264 or whatever.

I noticed that there are Roku solutions that use a Windows PC to run a
transcode to h.264 and serve as a go between for the Mythtv and Roku.  I
don't see why I can't setup an automatic job to transcode and leave the
files in place as a part of the database on the backend.  I would just
need a Roku frontend that could talk to the mythtv backend.  I find that
commercial detection is about 90% effective and that last 10% can drive
you crazy during playback, so having the 30 second skip is about all I need.

I find all the transcode scripts that use Handbrake or ffmpeg are broken
in 0.28 and have reported the bug in mythtranscode, so I will have to do
this in 0.27. I could modify the script at:
https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Transcode_Mpeg2_to_H264

or https://forum.mythtv.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1261

but these scripts transcode lossless mpeg2 to mpeg2 to another location
and apply commercial detection prior to mpeg2 to mp4 transcoding with
Handbrake/ffmpeg.  mythtranscode with the -o option is where the bug is.

Because I have a Logitech Harmony Smart Control I think I can setup a
one button control to switch between, my Kodi frontend computer and the
Koku.  I have the Harmony completely controlling the Kodi. If I can do
the same with Roku, I could make this seamless for the wife and avoid
the transcode