[mythtv-users] Comcast Equipment Update

Peter Bennett cats22 at comcast.net
Thu Sep 8 18:06:35 UTC 2016

On 09/08/2016 09:06 AM, Greg Woods wrote:
> Comcast sent me a letter yesterday indicating that if I don't replace
> my set-top boxes by Oct. 31, I might start losing channels. Worst
> case: this could spell doom for my MythTV system. Of course, it is
> impossible to obtain the kind of technical information I really need
> from Comcast. I did manage to find an equipment comparison chart on
> the xfinity.com/tradeup <http://xfinity.com/tradeup> web site, and I
> can see that the only box on their list that actually has a component
> output (needed, of course, for my HD-PVR recorders) is the RNG150N. I
> found the user manual for these, and they do have a firewire port, but
> I have no idea if the mythchanger program will work with these boxes.
> Comcast also talks about an "RF" remote control, so I have no idea
> whether using an IR blaster is even an option.
>
> Does anybody have one of these boxes in use under MythTV? Anyone else
> seen one of these "Equipment Update" letters?
>
> --Greg

I have received a couple of letters titled "Equipment Update" from
Comcast. I have a cable card and the notices concern the switch over to
MPEG-4. Perhaps MPEG-4 is the reason they need to switch out your cable box.

I used to have a RNG150 cable box from Comcast before I switched to
cable card. I used it for a few years for recording via firewire.
Channel changing could only be done by IR blaster, the various utilities
(mythchanger etc.) for changing channel via firewire did not work. I
used an Iguana IR blaster for that. Getting the channel changing script
right was a challenge, but eventually it worked reliably. Firewire
recording was rather unreliable, the box would sometimes fail to be
recognized by the computer.

If you go that route, I may still have the channel change script, remote
mappings and other things somewhere. Let me know if you need them.

Peter