[mythtv-users] Annoying shutdown problem

Mike Hodson mystica at gmail.com
Tue Sep 6 16:17:51 UTC 2016

On Mon, Sep 5, 2016 at 3:43 AM, David Cunningham <ml at upsilon.org.uk> wrote:
> I've been running MythTV 0.27 or Debian Jessie for a while without problem.
> I've just switched to 0.28 on Debian Stretch and have been hit with an
> annoying problem on the frontend.
>

> I've tried changing the shutdown command, all of:
>
> /sbin/halt
> /sbin/shutdown -h now
> /sbin/poweroff
>
> behave the same way, i.e. the system does not power off.

I've had this problem before, and it seems to be a kernel issue. It is
sporadic. It's happened on some kernel, not others; its happened on
newer EFI machines, older BIOS ones. Some were Supermicro servers; one
is my Asrock-motherboarded desktop.

All of them have worked, and worked again randomly as kernel updates
happened more.

Considering you're on kernel 4.6 now with Stretch, have you tried any
different kernels?

I'm not the best when it comes to 'distro kernels' ; I often just
build my own when things don't work out, starting from the 'distro
kernel' config(.gz) as the base configuration. So I'm not the best one
to explain how or where to get a different kernel for your debian,
only that you should indeed try a different kernel.

For now I'm on a 4.4 LTS kernel and do not have this problem, but did
on other 3.x and 4.x kernels.

YMMV.

Mike