[mythtv-users] No listing or guide data showing in mythweb or mythfrontend

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Mon Oct 24 19:42:23 UTC 2016

On 10/21/2016 03:58 PM, Hika van den Hoven wrote:
> Hoi Hika,
>
> Friday, October 21, 2016, 9:48:28 PM, you wrote:
>> Hoi Brett,
>> Friday, October 21, 2016, 9:39:29 PM, you wrote:
>>> Correct. All the channels from my Schedules Direct source show up
>>> in the program guide, in both the frontend and mythweb, but "No
>>> Data" is all that is shown for each of them.
>> I then come back to my earlier guess. You can see the data in the
>> database but not in the program guide. If the channels were not there
>> it could be a channel filter. But like this I guess it is imported
>> into other channels and most probably from another source. Or
>> somewhere in the database an old sourceid is still present or so.
>> I think the simplest way to exclude this is to delete all videosources
>> in mythtv-setup, create a new one and run mythfilldatabase again.
>> Deleting all videosources will delete all channel and programme info!
> Oh, be sure to select "Delete All" and not just the one you see!

This is good advice--and Hika is almost definitely correct in his
suggestion that the problem is misconfigured input sources (capture
cards, video sources, channels, and/or their linkage).  However, the
"solution" ("Delete All Video Sources") will only be a solution if it's
followed by properly configuring them the next time (versus repeating
the same mistake you made the first time--likely why it's not working
for you).  Note that starting over with a new install of MythTV--which
does absolutely nothing--won't help.  Starting over with a new database
(i.e. after "DROP DATABASE mythconverg;") would do nothing more useful
than the "Delete All Video Sources" approach--and would actually remove
any configuration you've actually got correct, too.  So to make things
work, you're going to have to redo the process (after a "Delete All
Video Sources") and not make the mistake you've been making.

Usually, the mistake that results in the symptom you're experiencing is
a failure to associate the MythTV Video Source's channels with the
Schedules Direct lineup's channels--meaning the XMLTV IDs aren't
properly set.  See
http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/264034#264034 . I'm
guessing that you're probably using a digital source (meaning you need
to scan for channels), and the broadcast channels themselves don't
provide sufficient information to match up with the information
Schedules Direct has--so you'll probably need to manually configure the
XMLTV IDs, as described on the linked wiki page.  Most likely, you're
currently relying on mythfilldatabase to figure out which of your
scanned channels matches with which of Schedules Direct's listed
channels, and it's failing to do so (it's never guaranteed--it's only if
you're lucky enough to have channels with sufficient identification
information broadcasted /and/ if that information happens to be the same
as the information that Schedules Direct has).

Mike