[mythtv-users] Warning: Do not install nvidia-304.132 package

Mike Hodson mystica at gmail.com
Mon Nov 28 02:32:53 UTC 2016

On Sun, Nov 27, 2016 at 4:54 PM, Stephen Worthington <
stephen_agent at jsw.gen.nz> wrote:

> Its an Nvidia bug, not Ubuntu - there have already been several
> threads on the list about it.  If your Nvidia chip is recent enough,
> you can change to using the Nvidia 340 drivers which are still fine.
> The 304.132 drivers only work properly when run from root.
>
> Correct, but also potentially wrong; this is a bit of a chimera.

While a vast majority of bugs are the result of Upstream code having
problems, "long term stable" releases should, in a portion of the
population's opinion, be held to a higher standard of testing before
release to the masses.

Granted, Nvidia code isn't quite as server-critical as a working Kernel, or
PHP with all the security patches and none of the feature bloat...
(a specific consideration 'stable' releases take, ABI does not change and
featureset is identical - one which I, and people like Charles Cazabon of
'getmail' notoriety, particularly take issue to, because if a feature
addition fixes a long standing bug and at the same time uses more secure
coding practices, is it really a bugfix, a security patch, or a feature
addition?)

That all said, while the MythTV population has now tested, reported bugs
with, and (hopefully) contributed the same bugs to Ubuntu, Ubuntu's own
testers could have a more structured methodology to verify VDPAU
acceleration as part of a release procedure.  I don't own an Nvidia card so
I cannot propose such a methodology, but this is a potential.

If nobody yet has filed a bug on Ubuntu's tracker, now'd be a good time for
one of those who have tested to do such.  As a community effort, discussion
and support is great, but the buck has to be passed up the foodchain until
someone in charge of packaging can fix it somehow.

Mike