[mythtv-users] Mythbackend always runs at startup

Don Brett dlbrett at zoominternet.net
Sat Nov 26 17:30:43 UTC 2016

On 11/26/2016 10:22 AM, Peter Bennett wrote:
> On 11/25/2016 04:33 PM, Don Brett wrote:
>> I've migrated a 14.04 mythtv database over to  a newly built 16.04
>> box.  All went pretty well, except when I restart the computer, it
>> always comes into the mythbackend setup program.  I don't see anything
>> wrong with the settings, so I exit from it, manually start the
>> frontend, and all is well.  This happens each time I reboot, any
>> suggestions on what to look for?
> I think all the replies so far may have missed the actual problem.
>
> You say that that setup is running at startup.
>
> I believe you may be running mythbuntu. The 16.04 version of mythbuntu
> is different. It runs setup at the first boot of the system after
> operating system installation. If you do not complete setup, it runs
> setup again at the next boot and so on until you have completed setup.
> Either you have not completed setup, or else something has gone wrong
> with that mythbuntu mechanism. Check if your mythbackend is running and
> whether it has some message indicating setup is not complete.

Yes, but I think both are right, I probably had two problems.  The
Systemd startup issue looks to be solved, so let's look into the backend
setup issue.

After exiting the backend setup, I ran it manually and found that
scheduled recordings recorded, but live TV gives me all tuners busy
errors.  So I stripped out all tuners except a single HD
Homerun....didn't help, but now, picking LiveTv displays "Please Wait"
message, then returns to the Mythfrontend menu.  Checking Information
Center > System Status > Tuner Status shows "Tuner 1 [HD.....] is not
recording" and "Tuner 2 is not recording"....but I only have one tuner.
On reboot, it still goes into the backend setup.

Another suggestion was to compare /home/don/.mythtv/config.xml between
the original machine and this one, I found one difference; the
MediaRenderer value is completely different.  I left the new value since
I didn't know if it was calculated during installation or not.  The IP,
port, database name, user, password were all the same.

Old-<MediaRenderer>457f49de-99e8-48a3-9827-61f526ee90e9</MediaRenderer>
New-<MediaRenderer>313f0e30-357a-4534-a2f8-c7bbd3eca442</MediaRenderer>

It seems that the setup is still not right, so....what else to look at?

---