[mythtv-users] Frontend hardware: VDPAU or VAAPI?

rob e redgerhoo at yahoo.com.au
Thu Nov 17 05:24:54 UTC 2016

On 17/11/16 11:13, mythtv-users-request at mythtv.org wrote:
> Date: Wed, 16 Nov 2016 12:44:09 +0000
> From: Stuart Auchterlonie<stuarta at squashedfrog.net>
> To:mythtv-users at mythtv.org
> Subject: Re: [mythtv-users] Frontend hardware: VDPAU or VAAPI?
>
> On 11/11/16 22:16, Steve Greene wrote:
>> >It sounds like time is on our side with VAAPI. Has anyone used the
>> >NUC5CPYH as a frontend? It will be replacing an ION that is now showing
>> >its age with 0.28, similar to Brian's experience.
>> >
> I've used the i3 based nuc without issues.
>
> Regards
> Stuart

I've also use the NUC5CPYH, in addition to Pi 2, pi 3, Asus Chromebox
2955U. Currently I choose to use the Nuc as the primary front end
(balances power usage and overall capability ie. myth + other uses).
Less powerful than the Chromebox (which can decode HEVC 1080p main 10
whereas the Nuc cannot), but it handles mainstream content at 1080p
without much issue (up to hevc main / 8 eg. jellyfish test clip hevc
main at 110mbps plays well on the Nuc)
It's all down to price and intended usage. 4k TVs up the ante a bit so
the Nuc's and Pi's may not be too good for 4k though (if that's a
consideration).