[mythtv-users] Imon remote frustrations

Neil Salstrom salstrom at gmail.com
Sat Nov 12 18:36:50 UTC 2016

On Fri, Nov 11, 2016 at 7:15 AM, R. G. Newbury <newbury at mandamus.org> wrote:

> I have been using a Soundgraph IR (same lsb codes) for almost 10 years.
>
> Due to a change to a Harmony 300 remote I am using ir-keytable and it works
> like a charm.
> LIRC is NOT running.
>
> The operative file is /etc/rc_keymaps/imon_pad.
> It is started with a 'ir-keytable -c -w /etc/rc_keymap/imon_pad' during
> startup (/etc/rc.d/rc.local in Fedora).
>
> The imon_pad file (with re-mappings start like this:
>
> # table imon_pad, type: OTHER
> # keytable imon-pad with mythtv mapping added
> # # keycode mapping from
> /usr/src/kernels/4.xxxx86_64/include/uapi/linux/input-event-codes.h
> # # mythtv mapping uses keycodes below 255 *AND* re-maps key to Harmony 300
> # # eg  0x28a115b7 = KEY_BACKSPACE (0x0e) # KEY_D
<SNIP>
>              R. Geoffrey Newbury

All,

Thanks for all the comments on this.  I've actually made some
significant headway and have gotten ir-keytable working (for the most
part).  Turns out the gen 1 HDHomerun just made IR way too easy!  It
read everything I threw at it so I never had to mess with the
different protocols.  One the Soundgraph IR the only supported
protocol is RC-6 (unless there is a way to add more protocols, which
I've not found yet).  I suspect the Onkyo DVD remote mapping I was
using was a non-supported protocol so it did not give any output
during ir-keytable -t or irw.

I found the code to program my remote to a MCE remote.  As soon as I
did that it was working!!!  A few buttons I was using before don't
output any codes so I guess those were not mapped from the MCE table.
>From what i understand RC-6 is a Philips protocol so I may try
programming my remote to some Philips devices and see if I can get all
buttons working.  If not, I can live with the MCE mapping and just
train the family to use different buttons =)

I'm happy to not have to have LIRC installed.  It was really buggy for
me and would segfault on it's own occasionally and nearly every time
if I manually shut down LIRC.  The segfault made the whole system
unstable and would lock up the VFD display as well (and flood the
logs).

If I learn more I'll post here!

Neil