[mythtv-users] Imon remote frustrations

myth at site7even.de myth at site7even.de
Sun Nov 13 14:33:10 UTC 2016

Am 13.11.2016 um 13:00 schrieb mythtv-users-request at mythtv.org:
> Message: 7
> Date: Sat, 12 Nov 2016 10:36:50 -0800
> From: Neil Salstrom <salstrom at gmail.com>
> To: Discussion about MythTV <mythtv-users at mythtv.org>
> Subject: Re: [mythtv-users] Imon remote frustrations
>
> On Fri, Nov 11, 2016 at 7:15 AM, R. G. Newbury <newbury at mandamus.org> wrote:
>
>> I have been using a Soundgraph IR (same lsb codes) for almost 10 years.
>>
>> Due to a change to a Harmony 300 remote I am using ir-keytable and it works
>> like a charm.
>> LIRC is NOT running.
>>
>> The operative file is /etc/rc_keymaps/imon_pad.
>> It is started with a 'ir-keytable -c -w /etc/rc_keymap/imon_pad' during
>> startup (/etc/rc.d/rc.local in Fedora).
>>
>> The imon_pad file (with re-mappings start like this:
>>
>> # table imon_pad, type: OTHER
>> # keytable imon-pad with mythtv mapping added
>> # # keycode mapping from
>> /usr/src/kernels/4.xxxx86_64/include/uapi/linux/input-event-codes.h
>> # # mythtv mapping uses keycodes below 255 *AND* re-maps key to Harmony 300
>> # # eg  0x28a115b7 = KEY_BACKSPACE (0x0e) # KEY_D
> <SNIP>
>>               R. Geoffrey Newbury

> All,
>
> Thanks for all the comments on this.  I've actually made some
> significant headway and have gotten ir-keytable working (for the most
> part).  Turns out the gen 1 HDHomerun just made IR way too easy!  It
> read everything I threw at it so I never had to mess with the
> different protocols.  One the Soundgraph IR the only supported
> protocol is RC-6 (unless there is a way to add more protocols, which
> I've not found yet).  I suspect the Onkyo DVD remote mapping I was
> using was a non-supported protocol so it did not give any output
> during ir-keytable -t or irw.
>
> I found the code to program my remote to a MCE remote.  As soon as I
> did that it was working!!!  A few buttons I was using before don't
> output any codes so I guess those were not mapped from the MCE table.
> >From what i understand RC-6 is a Philips protocol so I may try
> programming my remote to some Philips devices and see if I can get all
> buttons working.  If not, I can live with the MCE mapping and just
> train the family to use different buttons =)
>
> I'm happy to not have to have LIRC installed.  It was really buggy for
> me and would segfault on it's own occasionally and nearly every time
> if I manually shut down LIRC.  The segfault made the whole system
> unstable and would lock up the VFD display as well (and flood the
> logs).
>
> If I learn more I'll post here!
>
> Neil

Hi Neil,

I don't know if this all is fixed now in current releases. But if you
are missing some keycodes, check out my earlier answer on this list,
where I printed out all of my config files:
http://lists.mythtv.org/pipermail/mythtv-users/2016-February/385262.html

You can skip the LIRC part above, as you said you don't use it. At the
bottom, I listed the rc_keymaps file. I had to enhance this with
additional mappings that were missing prior - which led to some keys of
the remote not working at all.

And if you encounter any reason to go back to LIRC, you will find the
fix for the system hangs as well there... ;-)

Good luck,
Nicolas