[mythtv-users] Completely remove and reinstall sound

Peter Carlsson maillist.peter at home.se
Sat Nov 5 20:11:22 UTC 2016

Hello!

I have been struggling for some time to correct some sound issues.

One problem I have is that sometimes but not always I get no sound
at all. The workaround for that is to restart xfce4-session after
startup and then it always works. Feels like a race condition between
some processes I can't figure out.

The system is Debian Jessie, but it has been updated all the way
from Etch (2007) or there about.

Now, with no better ideas, I thought that if I completely remove the
installed sound and all configuration files and reinstall it again I
was hoping that it would set everything up correctly. Maybe it's a
longshot.

I don't find any alsa configuration files but I found one for pulseaudio
even though the pulseaudio package wasn't installed. However, I had
libpulse0 and libpulse-mainloop-glib0 installed. But uninstalling them
would practically remove mythtv and many other things.

So, what else except this would I have to do to completely remove:
  mv /etc/pulse/client.conf /etc/pulse/client.conf_old
  apt-get purge alsa-base alsa-oss alsa-utils

And what packages do I need to install?

Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Best regards,
Peter Carlsson