[mythtv-users] Completely remove and reinstall sound

Stephen Worthington stephen_agent at jsw.gen.nz
Tue Nov 8 09:33:34 UTC 2016

On Sat, 5 Nov 2016 21:11:22 +0100, you wrote:

>Hello!
>
>I have been struggling for some time to correct some sound issues.
>
>One problem I have is that sometimes but not always I get no sound
>at all. The workaround for that is to restart xfce4-session after
>startup and then it always works. Feels like a race condition between
>some processes I can't figure out.
>
>The system is Debian Jessie, but it has been updated all the way
>from Etch (2007) or there about.
>
>Now, with no better ideas, I thought that if I completely remove the
>installed sound and all configuration files and reinstall it again I
>was hoping that it would set everything up correctly. Maybe it's a
>longshot.
>
>I don't find any alsa configuration files but I found one for pulseaudio
>even though the pulseaudio package wasn't installed. However, I had
>libpulse0 and libpulse-mainloop-glib0 installed. But uninstalling them
>would practically remove mythtv and many other things.
>
>So, what else except this would I have to do to completely remove:
>  mv /etc/pulse/client.conf /etc/pulse/client.conf_old
>  apt-get purge alsa-base alsa-oss alsa-utils
>
>And what packages do I need to install?
>
>Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
>
>Best regards,
>Peter Carlsson

What are you using for your audio output?  On Mythbuntu 16.04, I am
using SPDIF, and am having a persistent problem where something is
turning off the SPDIF output in Alsa.  If I run alsamixer and unmute
the SPDIF output, it works again.  Until the next time it happens.  I
have yet to work out what may be doing this, but it was not happening
with my Mythbuntu 14.04 setup.  Does that sound anything like your
problem?