[mythtv-users] Lubuntu 16.04 - Latest NVidia update causes frontend to crash

John Pilkington J.Pilk at tesco.net
Fri Nov 4 21:06:48 UTC 2016

On 04/11/16 18:20, George Bingham wrote:

> On Fri, Nov 4, 2016 at 7:37 AM, Stephen Worthington
> <stephen_agent at jsw.gen.nz <mailto:stephen_agent at jsw.gen.nz>> wrote:
>
>     On Sat, 05 Nov 2016 01:34:35 +1300, you wrote:
>
>     Oops, typo in my previous post.  The Nvidia driver version I am using
>     is 304, not 340!
>

> Hey all,
>
> Yes, I was able to revert to the Nvidia driver 304.131. It was an update
> listed under the "security" fixes, so it's already asked me to update it
> again. Your previous post showed me how to "lock" the version, and I
> have done that now so I don't have to worry about it being automatically
> updated again. (Thanks!)
>
> This may be due to my very old Nvidia Quadro NVS 285 card. I have been
> surprised that it has been supported this long.
>
> But if it's either a bug in the new driver, or it's exposing a bug in
> mythfrontend ( as opposed to say, a new "feature" in the driver that
> only causes this problem on very old Nvidia cards), then I am sure other
> MythTV users will be running into this in short order.
>
> I know there are command line options that I can use with mythfrontend
> that increase the logging of certain features... is there one for
> "rendering" that I can use that may help us pinpoint what's going wrong?
>
> Thanks,
>
> -- George

FWIW, I also have an old nvidia card, that ran happily in fedora 23
until a few weeks ago, when the update to 304.132 gave me a black screen
with only tty2 giving system access.  I wasn't able to revert to 304.131
- the kernel module wouldn't build - but eventually nouveau worked and
I'm still with that.  Currently I see no nvidia drivers in the f23
rpmfusion-nonfree repos.

John P