[mythtv-users] MythTV Backend on Proxmox?

Phill Edwards philledwards at gmail.com
Thu May 26 02:38:24 UTC 2016

> I’m starting to think about transitioning to 0.28 and it might be a good
> time to consolidate the backend into a hypervisor.    So, I’m wondering if
> others have made this move and know the potholes to avoid?
>
>  My tuner is a HDHomerun, so no issues with device support.  And I save my
> recordings to a NFS share on my NAS.
>
> I’m thinking of using an LXC container running Ubuntu 16.04. Any reason to
> opt for a full KVM VM instead?

I don't use Proxmox any more. I tried it once but had problems getting PCI
passthrough working to support my DVB-T cards.

I have since moved away from PCI cards and have 2 HD Homeruns. My
MythBackend is now virtualised on a KVM setup which I believe is what
Proxmox is based on. I also store recordings on a NAS. It's a great setup
and I've had no problems. The only small issue I've found is that my
recordedseek table keeps getting marked as crashed so sometimes skip
forward doesn't work properly. But I think this is related to my
low-powered NAS struggling to keep up with the I/O rather than anything to
do with virtualisation.

My recommendation is to go for it.