[mythtv-users] Status of Schedules Direct SD-JSON grabbers

Jan Ceuleers jan.ceuleers at gmail.com
Mon May 23 15:31:48 UTC 2016

On 23/05/16 16:37, Gary Buhrmaster wrote:
> As a bypass, since the grabber itself can run on a system
> other than the one running the BE, one could always pick
> up a low cost ARM system and run the grabber there
> (note that it will take some time to run on some low
> power/cost ARM systems, but I have a proof by example
> it does run there (slowly)).  And while I understand that is
> not a great solution, it may be cheaper, easier, and faster
> than doing the actual research to verify that all the
> features and bugs are resolved in what are now
> end-of-support versions of perl (technically anything
> less than 5.22 is now end of support).

There is really no need to set up a separate system since it is possible
to install a newer version of perl within one specific user account of
an existing system. I have done that within the mythtv account of my
backend. I described this at a high level on this list a few days ago.

I could have set up a specific account only for the purpose of running
the JSON grabber and have installed the newer perl version there. But I
didn't bother.

> Alternatively, RH offers a "upgrade in place" tool kit for
> RHEL 6 to RHEL 7 with makes upgrades "easy" (for
> some values of "easy" which never seem to apply to
> your specific case, but the tools are out there).

Again, there is no need to upgrade the whole distro just for this reason.

HTH, Jan