[mythtv-users] Unnecessary interruption of LiveTV w/ multiple tuners

Will Dormann wdormann at gmail.com
Fri May 20 01:26:29 UTC 2016

Hi folks,

I'm running MythTv 0.27-fixes, and I've noticed an annoying behavior:
If I'm watching Live TV and the time for a scheduled recording comes up,
MythTV will use the tuner that I'm currently using for Live TV rather
than other available tuners (I have 4 total).

What seems to be happening is that MythTV chooses which tuner to use for
a recording well in advance when it does its scheduling work.   But when
Live TV is being used, that changes the assumption of what tuner should
be used for any given recording.    So again to outline the scenario:

- I'm watching Live TV
- Time for a scheduled recording comes up

Actual results:
MythTV asks the user if they'd like to cancel the scheduled recording,
record & watch the new recording, or record and return to the main menu.
 If the user isn't around to answer, it'll switch to recording the new
show and start watching it, I believe.

Expected results:
Since other tuners are available, MythTV should on-the-fly choose to use
one of the other tuners to record the show, assuming that the show
(channel) is available on one of the unused tuners.  The user should not
be interrupted in any way.

Is this a known issue?  And if so, perhaps fixed in 0.28 even?

Thanks!
-WD