[mythtv-users] HD PVR 2 and mythtv

Gary Buhrmaster gary.buhrmaster at gmail.com
Thu Mar 31 01:25:49 UTC 2016

On Tue, Mar 29, 2016 at 7:37 PM, John P Poet <jppoet at gmail.com> wrote:
> The Hauppauge Linux 'driver' for the HD PVR 2 is non-standard

Because (as you know) it is not a "driver" in any sense of
the Linux term, and does not provide a one of the various
v4l2 or dvb integrations which "just work" with MythTV or
most other Linux applications.

Fortunately, someone :-) has updated MythTV to support
an external file recorder API(*) such that any application can
(in theory) be utilized to provide content.

(Hm, I wonder if it would be possible to write a FUSE driver to
make it work with MythTV.  Maybe I'll have some motivation to
look at it if/when my MSO marks all content CCI=copy_once).

(*) From a quick look some time ago, I had this feeling that
I wished it had "just one minor change" to make it capable of
slicing, dicing, and making Julienne fries, but I can not
remember what that feature was(**).  So it must be perfect
(except for that TS/PS thing).

(**) I am sure it was called the Ronco feature.