[mythtv-users] HD PVR 2 and mythtv

Stephen Worthington stephen_agent at jsw.gen.nz
Thu Mar 31 10:51:40 UTC 2016

On Wed, 23 Mar 2016 19:09:27 -0500, you wrote:

>Hello,
>
>I noticed that HD PVR 2 linux driver is now posted on Hauppauge website
>(http://www.hauppauge.com/site/support/linux.html). Has anybody tried
>using mythtv with this?
>
>Thanks

A possible alternative to an HD PVR 2 is a nice gadget that I just
learned about, called a digital modulator or HDMI modulator.  This
takes video (HDMI, component or composite) and turns it into a DVB-T
or ATSC stream and injects it into an RF aerial connection.  For HDMI,
the conversion to DVB-T/ATSC packets is apparently lossless.  One of
these, plus a DVB-T or ATSC tuner, might be a better idea than an HD
PVR 2 as there are many fully Linux supported DVB-T/ATSC tuners.  All
that would then be needed would be a way to change the channel on the
STB.  Apparently there are quite a few of these gadgets to choose
from, but the post I was reading said this is the one they chose:

  http://www.pviusa.com/MICROMOD-Compact-HD-RF-Modulator_p_30.html