[mythtv-users] DVB-S and DVB-C cards and priority

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Tue Mar 15 02:25:34 UTC 2016

On 03/14/2016 10:01 AM, Stephan Seitz wrote:
> Hi!
>
> Until now I have used my MythTV setup with a DVB-S card with two
> tuners.  For the next months I have to remove my dish because our
> house gets a refurbishing (I hope this is the right English word ;-).
>
> Since cable TV is also available (Kabel Deutschland) I will buy a
> DVB-C card which will stay installed as additional tuner even when my
> dish is back online.
>
> But how do I configure this setup in MythTV? First, will MythTV notice
> if the DVB-S card has no dish connected to it without removing the card?

No, you have to tell it.  MythTV assumes all configured capture devices
are working and will happily record blackness and silence (or static or
even 0 bytes of data or whatever) from an input if that's what the
device provides.  As a matter of fact, if the card doesn't provide any
error conditions, MythTV will think that the recording was successful
and won't try to re-record a later showing--regardless of what data (and
how much data) was actually provided by the capture device.

> I want MythTV to use the DVB-S tuners if available and if not fall
> back to the DVB-C tuners (or if more than two tuners are needed).

Go into mythtv-setup and change both the Live TV and Schedule Order of
the "to be offlined" inputs to 0, telling MythTV not to use them for
Live TV/recordings.  When they can be used, just change their order to
some appropriate positive value, where the lowest valued (first in
order) inputs will be used first and higher valued (later in order)
inputs will be used only when earlier-ordered inputs are in used.

Don't mess with input priorities--the Live TV and Schedule Order are how
you tell MythTV which tuners are preferred (for Live TV and recordings,
respectively).

Mike