[mythtv-users] MythTV Raspberry Pi2 - MythFrontend Setup Tutorial

Peter Bennett (cats22) cats22 at comcast.net
Mon Mar 7 20:32:41 UTC 2016

On 03/07/2016 02:01 PM, Curtis Gedak wrote:
> On 16-03-06 02:09 PM, Peter Bennett (cats22) wrote:
>> Here is a Jessie build:
>>
>> https://www.dropbox.com/s/xolnnm0ennri9qz/mythtv-raspi-v0.27.6-62-gbb9eec4.tar.bz2?dl=0
>>

> Thank you Peter for sharing your Rpi2 MythTV build.
>
> I really appreciate that you are continuing the work to improve
> mythfrontend running on the Raspberry Pi 2.  :-)
>

> I did my best to follow the steps in your email.  However I suspect
> that I am missing some important steps because video playback was slow
> and jerky for me.
>
> One interesting observation is that I started with a new microSD card,
> but some of the default settings appear to be similar to my Rpi2
> tutorial installation.  This makes me think that the MythTV Backend
> must keep track of some of the frontend settings.  That's just a guess
> though.
>
> One key question I have is:
>
>    Which video playback profile are you using?
>
> In an effort to pinpoint the missing steps, I have listed the setup
> steps I used.
>
> Best regards,
> Curtis
>

> INSTALLATION STEPS I USED
> -------------------------
>
>  1. Extract 2016-02-09-raspbian-jessie.zip to microSD card.
>
>  2. Use "sudo raspi-config" to change the following settings:
>
>         1) Expand Filesystem
>
>         3) Boot Options
>             B4 Desktop Autologin              # GUI runs on boot
>
>         5) Internationalisation Options
>             I1 Change Locale
>                 en_CA.UTF-8                   # Use your locale
>             I2 Change timezone
>                 America - Edmonton            # Use your timezone
>             I3 Change Keyboard Layout
>                 Generic 105-key (Intl) PC     # Use your keyboard
>                      English (US)             # To fix tilde ~ key
>                          Right Alt (AltGr)
>                              No compose key
>                                Yes - Ctrl+Alt+BS to terminate X server
>
>         9) Advanced Options
>             A3 Memory Split
>                 gpu_mem=256
>             A9 Audio
>                 1 Force 3.5mm ('headphone') jack   # external speakers
>
>  3. Edit the /boot/config.txt file to add the MPEG-2 license key.
>
>  4. Extract mythtv-raspi-v0.27.6-62-gbb9eec4.tar.bz2
>
>     Note that this created:
>
>         raspi-0.27-v0.27.6-62-gbb9eec4/usr/...
>
>     I renamed this to match the name in the email instructions:
>
>         mythtv-raspi-v0.27.6-62-gbb9eec4/usr/...
>
>  5. Install suggested prerequisites:
>
>         sudo apt-get install libavahi-compat-libdnssd1 qt5-default \
>                              libqt5script5 ntp libicu52 libqt5sql5-mysql
>
>  6. Configure mythfrontend via SSH.
>
>         ssh -YC pi at 192.168.1.65
>
>         QT_QPA_PLATFORM=xcb\
>          LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$HOME/mythtv-rpi/lib\
>          QT_PLUGIN_PATH=$HOME/mythtv-rpi/plugins\
>          ~/mythtv-raspi-v0.27.6-62-gbb9eec4/usr/bin/mythfrontend \
>           -w -geometry 1280x720 -p

All you need is

LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$HOME/mythtv-raspi-v0.27.6-62-gbb9eec4/usr/lib \
    $HOME/mythtv-raspi-v0.27.6-62-gbb9eec4/usr/bin/mythfrontend

You dont need plugin path qpa platform etc.

>  7. Run mythfrontend from a terminal window with:
>
>         export MYTHTVDIR=~/mythtv-raspi-v0.27.6-62-gbb9eec4/usr
>         QT_QPA_PLATFORM=xcb\
>          LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$MYTHTVDIR/lib\
>          QT_PLUGIN_PATH=$MYTHTVDIR/plugins\
>          PYTHONPATH=$MTHDIR/usr/local/lib/python2.7/sitepackages\
>          $MYTHTVDIR/bin/mythfrontend
Again, what you need is

export MYTHTVDIR=$HOME/mythtv-raspi-v0.27.6-62-gbb9eec4/usr

LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$MYTHTVDIR/usr/lib \
    $MYTHTVDIR/usr/bin/mythfrontend

(In some cases $HOME works better than ~)

>  8. Check / set mythtfrontend setup:
>
>     Setup -> Appearance
>
>         Paint engine:   Qt
>         Menu theme:     Default
>
>     Setup -> Theme Chooser
>
>         MythCenter 1.2   # This one highlighted by default.
>                          # Interestingly this is the one I used
>                          # previously as described in my Rpi2 tutorial.
>                          #
>                          # I wonder if the MythtV Backend somehow
>                          # remembers this?
>                          #
>                          # Set to Steppes 2.18
>
>     Setup -> Video -> Playback -> Playback Profiles (3/8)
>
>         Current Video Playback Profile:  openmax   # no opengl2...
>
>                          # Again I wonder if the Backend somehow
>                          # remembers portions of the frontend settings
>                          # because I previously used openmax, but it had
>                          # additional configuration including OSD
>                          # renderer opengl2.
>                          #
>                          # What do you have this set to?
I suggest delete the profile and add it again. As you have seen, these
are stored in the database.
Type add new, and a profile name.
Add New Entry.
On the New Entry page,
Match Criteria: >    W: 0 H: 0
Second Match Criteria blank
decoder openmax  Max CPUs 1  Deblocking filter selected
video renderer openmax, OSD renderer softblend OSD fade unchecked
Click NEXT
Second page:
Primary deinterlacer; Advanced (HW)
Fallback deinterlacer: One field
Custom filters blank
Click Finish, Next, Next until end
(Note I do have code that  creates the default openmax profile, but that
is only in the 0.28 version)