[mythtv-users] Cheap HDMI capture

David Madsen david.madsen at gmail.com
Tue Jun 28 17:28:19 UTC 2016

>From what I've read about the older ones, they were only outputting around
18fps at 1080p, and that was nearly saturating the 100mbit network
interface due to the MJPEG encoding, so the V3 is a pretty large
improvement there.  I wouldn't recommend the V2 for capturing content for
MythTV, the V3 is a much better starting point.

It may be possible to get the newer ones to encode to a full 1920x1080 if
the settings controls or firmware can be figured out.

> So can several of these be present on the LAN at the same time?

I'm not sure if they would automatically adjust to use different addresses,
but with the newer version it is possible to change the destination ip
address from a multicast address to a unicast address, so it would be
possible with some manual setup.  These changes are not saved by the device
however, so it would need to be done each time the adapter is reset.

> The initial blog said or suggested that the transmitter and the receiver
> needed to be interconnected directly, i.e. by means of a point to point
> Ethernet link, but the product page for the V3 variant of this thing on
> Amazon says that they can be connected to a LAN.
>
> Hence my question: can several of these transmitters coexist on the same
> LAN, and if so how does one address them individually?

They will work through network switches as long as the switches will pass
multicast traffic, or by changing the destination IP.  When the adapter
initializes, it will DHCP an address from the network allowing access to a
web interface through which it is possible to change the destination
address via a CGI interface.  The full functionality of that interface
hasn't been uncovered yet however.